Cuboid Engine Optimizations and JAP

All right guys,

so I’ve been busy with some few competitions, for some wierd reason we after all came in to the JAP (somehow some businesses gave up), but sadly we only got the 3rd place, little Resume:

So some teams gave up, so some space were available, so we came in. Though we got the 3rd place of the whole portugal (160-180 Businesses), I belive that we should have got the 1st place as we were the only ones who actually build the product ourselves, and didn’t ask another company to do so :(. But it’s something!

In the context of Cuboid Engine, now that the competition is over, I can finally return to my precious… :). But today I implemented Uber Shading, just to increase performance, it looks somehow like this:

Before:

  • Loads of Shaders
  • Time wasted in applying shader bffs to ID3D11DeviceContext
  • Time wasted in blending / alpha support
  • Loads of draw calls (per mesh)

Now

  • One shader for everything
  • One draw call (per mesh)
  • No alpha
  • Only one apply function per frame (not only once as 3rd party may be messing with my device context).

So basically in my Uber Shader High Level Shader Language File i have a struct with loads if integers, like this: cbuffer UberData {int _diff; int _text; int _dirlight; int _bumpmap;}

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s